Sunday, June 29, 2008

Heavy Metal: Amped on Wind Power

Today was yet another fun packed day. We rolled out of bed, threw on our "Heavy Metal" emblazoned t-shirts and ran outside to catch the bus to the Boston Museum of Science. We did not know exactly what we were in for but only that we were being split in to groups and competing against each other in some sort of competition. It is getting late and I am getting tired so I will get right to the details.

30 teams. 30 garbage cans. 1 goal. Each team was to create their own wind turbine using nothing but cardboard, foam sheets, clothes hangers, PVC tubing, a metal rod, trash bags, rope, and of course.

My team went 6th being the first to represent Saratoga. We made it almost to the top and were the first team to lift off the ground. It was awesome and the people in my group could not have been more fun. Just a side not I did Saratoga the honor of writing the Garden Consultants web address on the turbine (nothing like free advertising, which I have also been doing on chalkboards all over campus). My team did well but not as well as Jeff's

Jeff and his team made one of the fastest and most successful turbines on the floor and even beet the professional Design Squad team. They came close to first but no cigar.

Also successful was Juliana with her wind sock turbine. Though completely unconventional and overall awkwardness her teams interesting contraption drew cheers from the crowd when it miraculously worked. To be perfectly honest I thought it would just break but it threw us all for a loop when it took hold of the wind.

We had a fun but long day and I can already tell that this is one of my weaker posts. We have all had a great time being here at MIT for the past few days and working on the Garden Consultant this year.

Don't worry. This is by no means my last post but it is far past my bed time so I will talk to you all tomorrow. Thanks for your support and good night.

- Elliott

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Any photosgraphs of this event - it sounds awesome. Who were the organizers? I'd love to host one here in Ohio - OU Engineering Prof