Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Digital Visualization Theater at Notre Dame

This weekend, I was fortunate enough to fly to South Bend, Indiana and visit the University of Notre Dame. Back in October, former InvenTeam member Jeff Pawlick came up with a 'design challenge' for our Engineering Design and Development class. The task was to create a 3-D model on AutoDesk Inventor that could be used for educational purposes in the new planetarium-like theater at Notre Dame.

I decided to demonstrate how speakers work. After building each component of the speaker, I rendered a video in Inventor Studio to help show how the parts interact. Jeff asked me to come to the campus and watch him present the models to his class.

The theater was really neat - reclining chairs let viewers relax while the controller manipulates the screen. Sitting there, one feels like they are "flying" into and around the objects. It was a great experience to see some of the possibilities of techonolgy in action. I also was able to attend a freshman engineering lecture, which was interesting as well.

Here is the video I submitted:

0 comments: